Selectmen will discuss their goals for the next year next Tuesday. These are my suggestions. Let me know if you have ideas for different things the Board of Selectmen and the town administrators should be working on this next year. I just sent these to Ann and Mark and asked for copies of theirs – as I hope to get them before we meet.
2012 Goals and Objectives for the Medfield Town Administrator
and the Board of Selectmen
By Osler L. Peterson, Selectman
September 27, 2012
1. Conduct a zero based review and revision of our town government departments and their systems to determine whether we are using best practices.
a. Establish expectations, policies, and procedures for all town boards and departments.
b. Evaluate staffing levels and positions.
i. Consider hiring a Finance Director.
c. Consider partnering with an educational institution to get interns for this task.
d. Reconsider using the former selectmen to perform this task.
2. Have Town Administrator institute use of annual calendar for the Board of Selectmen.
3. Hold a Board of Selectmen joint meeting annually with all town boards and commissions to review our shared purposes and goals.
4. Determine road repair plans, priorities, and funding – Superintendent to outline.
5. Work with Water and Sewer Commission on its operations and its master plan.
6. Oversee the process of dealing with the clean up and reuse of the Medfield State Hospital site. Complete the bylaw review for issued related to the Medfield State Hospital site.
7. Annually get written five year written plans from the Town Administrator and department heads.
8. Work with planning board for new economic growth, on Town’s master plan, and on downtown zoning.
9. Develop a strategy for maintenance and renovation of all town buildings.
10. Develop a strategy to build a new DPW Garage, Public Safety, and Community Center.
11. Examine opportunities for additional revenue streams.
12. Identify opportunities for regionalization of services.
13. Target completion of union negotiations before contracts expire.
14. Create an evergreen three-year financial forecast of the town, working with the Warrant Committee and the School Committee.
15. Implement succession planning for key town staffing positions.
16. Installation of solar PV arrays on town owned land.
17. Become a Green Community.
18. Solve the issues about the Veterans Service Officer position.
19. Perform an analysis of whether overtime is being used the way the town wants.
20. Maintain town’s fiscal status.
21. Plant street trees.
22. Develop a historic house walking tour.