Medfield Energy Committee
July 19, 2018 Agenda
Location: Medfield Public Safety Building
- Approval of June Minutes
- Review of Streetlight project
- Review/Update of The Green Communities Project(s) & hopefully,
- Jerry’s final report to the Committee
- DPW Solar Project Update
- New Business
Medfield Energy Committee DRAFT
Meeting Notes for June 21, 2018
Attendees: Lee Alinsky, Fred Davis, Paul Fechtelkotter, Cynthia Greene, Jerry McCarty, Marie Nolan
May 24, 2018 Meeting Minutes accepted.
Jerry McCarty announced that he is leaving his position as Medfield Facilities Manager by Fall 2018. He will be greatly missed by the MEC. MEC asked Jerry to provide an Institutional Knowledge Report to the Town so that Medfield can continue his work on updating the O&M and capital budgeting plans for town facilities, as well as implementing all the facilities improvements currently being undertaken.
After the May MEC meeting, Jerry reported to Police Chief Meaney MEC’s recommendations on purchasing streetlights. Jerry addressed a list of questions asked by the police chief including:
- How do we report lights that are out? Police officer will call dispatcher and report Pole # has light out. Like they used to call Eversource, Police/Town will now call Maintenance Contractor.
- Do we wait until several go out before getting replacements? No
- How does one lodge complaints about lights or request additional ones? Same as today. Report to town hall offices, selectmen need to approve requests for additional lights.
- Any liability issues? To be handled by maintenance contractor.
- What happens if there is a downed pole? Eversource will fix pole (as they own pole) but contractor will re-install light.
Green Communities Update and Jerry’s Quarterly Report to DOER
MEC reviewed Jerry’s draft Green Communities Quarterly Report to DOER and made comments. Jerry will send a copy, as amended to DOER. This is the first report for the 2 energy conservation projects included in the grant of $146,815 from DOER awarded March 23, 2018:
1) LED interior and exterior lighting upgrades of 6 municipal buildings and
2) Blake Middle School’s Remote EMS including upgrades. (See Green Community Grant Progress and Financial Quarterly Report for the 4th Q-May June 2018 prepared June 21, 2018 by Town of Medfield Facilities).
MEC cannot submit an application for more grant money until the Town spends all the money from the first grant. Likely next steps are to do preliminary design work for replacement of the Domestic Hot Water (DHW) at Blake Middle School and upgrade the HS software. MEC can ask for grant monies for a final design, selection of water heater and installation. (Table 4 cost estimate in the Town’s Green Communities 5 yr Plan may be low as it does not include asbestos removal.)
Jerry may ask Rise Engineering to contact DOER to find out what we need to do in order to be able to get funding for upgrading of ? BIM software at the High School.
It was thought that a Press Release should be issued by MEC to inform the Town on the progress of the initiatives funded by the grant monies.
Implement the contracts, hold kick-off meetings with contractors.
Rise ordered all the materials for the lighting upgrades.
Rise will do a final Commissioning Report in October 2018 that includes all the savings.
Retro-commissioning will be done in September/October 2018.
Town has a service maintenance contract with Trane. Trane will conduct training sessions for employees, usually one for the heating season and one for the cooling season. MEC would like to be notified when these sessions are to occur and possibly attend.
DPW Solar Project
No progress to date. The Town did not send out request for bids.
Review/add/amend draft of Board/Committee Structure Policy Document
The draft is being amended and will be sent around to committee members for final comment and review.
Next meeting – July 19, 2018. August meeting TBD.
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 pm.
Notes respectfully submitted by