Minutes 1/2/18


BoS

Board of Selectmen

January 2, 2018

7:00PM

Chenery Hall

Minutes

 

Present: Chairman Osler Peterson, Michael Marcucci, Gus Murby, Michael Sullivan, Mark Cerel, and Kristine Trierweiler

 

 

Chairman Peterson called the meeting to order at 7:00PM, announced the meeting was being recorded. Selectmen asked for a moment of appreciation for our Troops serving in the Middle East and around the world.

 

 

Appointments

 

7:00 PM School Committee and Permanent Planning and Building Committee

 

Dr. Jeffrey Marsden was present representing the School Committee to discuss Dale Street Project. Dale Street Project has received approval to proceed for a feasibility study per the MSBA program. Dr. Marsden reviewed the timelines for the feasibility study which will examine multiple locations within town for Dale Street School.

 

Tim Bonfatti stated that the sum of money requested for the feasibility study will investigate eleven or twelve options and then take the preferred option through the 30% of design phase. Town will then have enough information to estimate for construction costs on total appropriation per the MSBA rules.

 

Mike Quinlan stated that as part of this process the Board of Selectmen would need to appoint members of a new School Building Committee. A member of the Selectmen will need to be appointed as well. This is a committee process set out by the MSBA.

 

Selectmen Murby asked that if the State is looking at locations, what are the criteria that will be used in identifying the final locations. Mike Quinlan answered that is an outside consultant not the state that will conduct the feasibility study. A percentage of 38.84% will be reimbursed by the state to the Town.
Mr. Bonfatti stated that when you enter this program you do not want to predetermine the site, there will be a full six month review of all the sites, determine what works best for the town and then request state approval for the identified location.

 

Selectmen confirmed that the feasibility study and schematics amount requested has been identified at a cost of $1.2-$1.5 million with the 38.84% reimbursed by the state. Selectmen discussed how to fund the project and if a bond would be required. Michael Sullivan suggested that this project be bundled with the Affordable Housing Trust borrowing of one million dollars that was approved in April 2017.

 

Dr. Marsden thanked the Board of Selectmen for their continued support of the Dale Street project over the years.

 

7:30 Sarah Raposa and Brandie Erb, Medfield State Hospital

 

Sarah Raposa spoke with the Commonwealth about clarification on the 40R Grant, and the wording of the grant will be more vague and it will be phrased as zoning guidelines. Town can pursue 40R zoning, something like 40R zoning or our own zoning and does not have to be called 40R in order to use or accept the grant. Brandie Erb said the MSHMPC is planning to vote to accept the contract for the grant at the next meeting.

 

Ms. Erb stated there are two requests for authorization for Phase III of the McCabe Contract in the amounts of $22,500, and the $21, 54. The request is for the additional services including additional meetings and analysis.

 

Selectmen Murby discussed how much of the appropriation is left and if these requests will require an additional appropriation at Town Meeting. Selectmen Murby is concerned that if these change orders take the committee through March, what happens when the Special Town Meeting takes place at a later date. Ms. Trierweiler stated there is funding available for these change orders, as well as funding for the remaining mediation and environmental work. Ms. Raposa stated the grant for the 40R is reimbursable so she will work with the Town Accountant on process. Ms. Erb stated that if there is no Town Meeting in March, the Committee may need additional funds to continue.

 

Vote: Selectmen Marcucci made a motion to approve and sign the Phase III and the modification to McCabe contract as presented, seconded by Gus Murby and the vote was unanimous.

 

 

Action Items

Maurice Goulet, DPW Director, requests the Selectmen vote to sign the Contract with Weston and Sampson for WWTP Chief Operator Services.

 

Maurice Goulet informed the Selectmen this is a temporary contract for the Chief Operator. Mr. Goulet is still looking to hire an employee on a full time basis. The position has been advertised five times but it has proved difficult to fill. The hiring of a consultant as the Chief Operator is complying with the DEP requirements.

 

Vote: Selectmen Marcucci made a motion to approve and sign the Weston and Sampson contract for WWTP Chief Operator as presented, seconded by Gus Murby and the vote was unanimous

 

 

 

 

7:45 Chief Meaney, Civil Service List

 

Chief Meaney is requesting the Board of Selectmen request a Civil Service List to fill a vacancy. Recently the BOS sent three recruits to the Academy; one recruit was unable to fulfill the requirements of the Academy creating a vacancy. There is also a Sergeant vacancy created by the retirement of Sergeant Lorna Fabbo. The Selectmen need to vote to request the list for Sergeants as well. The Sergeants position is strictly internal and will be an internal promotion.  Selectmen briefly discussed the impacts of civil service on recruitment for the department.

 

Vote: Selectmen Marcucci made a motion to request the Civil Service List for patrol officer as well as Sergeant, seconded by Gus Murby and the vote was unanimous

 

 

Action Items (continued)

 

Mark Cerel, Town Counsel, request Selectmen to vote to sign Verizon Access Agreement at MSH Water Tower.

 

Selectmen Marcucci informed the Board he would recuse himself from the Board of Selectmen for this discussion and left the table.

 

Mark Cerel stated that the Town has been negotiations with Verizon about locating on the new State Hospital water tower; they have determined there were some environmental issues in the past on the site; this agreement is to authorize Verizon access to do their own testing on site. This evaluation is the next step in finalizing the agreement for location on the water tower. Agreement is for two (5) year options. Water and Sewer wants to put an additional RFP out in the future as there is more space for additional carriers. Additional location agreements could go to support the capital plan.

 

Selectmen Murby asked for clarification on the revenues from projects like this going to individual departments. Is there is a policy for departments such as COA or DPW having an asset like this tower, how do we know where the revenue goes? Mr. Sullivan clarified that Water and Sewer is an enterprise fund which makes this case different compared to COA for example where the revenue would go to the general fund. Mike stated that the revenue from Mount Nebo Water Tower was used to offset the purchase of the Holmquist Property. Mark Cerel stated some departments have care and control of their property such as Schools and Parks and Recreation.

 

Mr. Massaro requested that the lease be reviewed to ensure that there is protection for the water tower and no liability for the town when Verizon does maintenance on the Tower.

 

Vote: Selectmen Murby made a motion to approve the Access Agreement with Verizon as presented by Town Counsel, seconded by Selectmen Peterson and the vote was unanimous, 2-0.

 

 

 

MSH Building and Grounds Committee

Ms. Trierweiler informed the Board that John Thompson was not in attendance so she would present the request from Kendra Kannally for a 5K Trail run at MSH to benefit NewLife. Ms. Kannally has met with MSH Building and Grounds Committee and the committee recommends approval of the Trail Run. Ms. Trierweiler stated that Mr. Thompson also would like to request funding for fall clean up in the amount of $17,000 be paid for out of the MSH revolving fund. Given the impending snow storm it may be best to wait on this for more discussion with John and incorporate this into the next landscaping contract at MSH. Ms. Trierweiler will talk to Mr. Thompson and reschedule discussion of the car show at a future meeting.

 

Vote: Selectmen Marcucci made a motion to approve the request of Kendra Kannally for the 5K Trail Road Race at Medfield State Hospital on May 5, 2018, seconded by Gus Murby and the vote was unanimous.

 

 

Review of the 2018 Town Meeting Warrant

Mr. Sullivan reviewed the Town Meeting Warrant with the Selectmen.

 

Senior Housing

Selectmen discussed the five articles for senior housing on the Warrant. Senior housing survey is also underway. Town cannot reject a citizen’s petition for the ATM. Ms. Raposa is working with our housing consultant, COG, to draft a senior housing article that can be implemented.

 

Capital Budget

Selectmen Marcucci anticipates that the capital budget committee will operate as it has in the past. As Jerry McCarty stated he needs additional time to complete the twenty-year capital plan, still waiting for vehicle replacement plan as well as the pavement management plan. Once those are all in place the Town can develop at 5-10 year plan with mixed sources of funding. Selectmen Murby stated that he agreed the capital plan would remain the same this year for the Town Meeting.

 

Master Plan

Master Planning Committee requesting $150,000 in funding for completion of the plan.

 

Parks and Recreation

Parks and Recreation Committee needs to meet with the PPBC to discuss their plans for the building. COA will need to meet with the PPBC as well. Selectmen discussed how the PPBC will create a process through the bylaws that gives them actual authority over municipal buildings construction.  BOS still have the power over projects but review by the PPBC will be required. BOS would still like to be the ultimate authority on building projects so that a department could make application to the BOS with a building project and then be referred to the PPBC regardless of private or public funding. This is the process currently being utilized but addition to the bylaws would fully define and formalize the process.

 

 

 

North Street Construction

Selectmen discussed the status of this project, Moe Goulet has indicated he will not have a plan ready for the Annual Town Meeting; this project can be included in the work of the Master Planning Committee. Article was deferred and will be removed from the Warrant.

 

Advanced Life Support (ALS)

Selectmen Murby is also Chair of the ALS Study Committee and provided an update. After the initial presentation to the BOS, committee is continuing to investigate the addition of four paramedics, the net impact to the Town is $150,000, there will be a $300,000 increase to the Fire Department budget but will be offset by revenue. Committee met with another private ambulance provider, Alerts Ambulance, but it appears we would need to partner with Dover and Sherborn at a cost of approximately $600,000 in order to have the call volume to support the proposal. Still working on talking with other towns for interest, bottom line is that ALS service will not be free.

 

MSH Consultants

Selectmen discussed merits of holding this article until the STM. Selectmen Murby stated the need for a successor to the MSH Master Planning Committee which would be a development committee. Questions included when/if will the BOS endorse the MSHMPC proposal; what are next steps if the proposal does not pass the STM? Lot 3 can be completed with the Economic Development Committee but what committee will take over the MSH property?

 

Mr. Massaro asked the Selectmen to consider what happens if there is no STM, how do you fund for the next steps at the MSH? How would you hire a new consultant? There needs to be a plan for this now.

 

Selectmen Murby dos not want the BOS to entertain another year of master planning. Selectmen Peterson suggested changing the wording or the article, while Selectmen Marcucci did not advocate a contingency appropriation. If the article at the STM fails there will need to be money allocated for the continued stabilization of a town asset.

 

Mr. Harney stated that the Selectmen keep using the term redevelopment and he has a different sense of what that means for the Town. Mr. Harney believes that the plan for any intensive development will fail at town meeting.

 

Hinkley Property 

Discussion of the Hinkley property as a Town asset and as an appropriate site for housing. Selectmen discussed ability to combine this lot with others for more value. Selectmen asked Mr. Cerel to look into a few things: If the entire lot is for affordable housing, does it go to the COA, is there a need to reallocate the property between COA lot and the Hinkley lot?

 

Citizen Petition Articles for Senior Housing

Mark Cerel stated the articles all have a theme for housing but most of the petition articles have legal issues with the way that they are drafted. Cannot edit or delete articles that are submitted by citizen petition. Selectmen asked that the citizens proposing the articles be invited to a future meeting. Selectmen Marcucci stated that COG is sounding more positive in discussions with the Commonwealth about doing a subsidized project that is under the care, custody and control of the Selectmen. The discussions have centered on “Public Purpose” if the Town is going to lease the property.

 

Mr. Harney questioned the Selectmen how a subsidized project on Hinkley Lot is for public purpose.

 

Rail Trail

Discussion of how the rail trail will be funded. Selectmen Murby is concerned this is an advocacy group, appointed by the BOS, putting an article on the Warrant that one BOS member is dead set against when it comes to liability. Selectmen discussed that any town board or committee can place an article on the warrant. Selectmen Murby believes that no one should be appointed to a board or committee with a pre-determined view, committees should study; advocate and report to the BOS and the BOS decide if the article should move forward to the Warrant.

 

West Street Intersection

Michael Sullivan stated this is predominantly a commuter road and the state should bear some of the cost of updating this intersection. Selectmen discussed the timing of the intersection and suggested the State Reps be invited in to discuss it at a future meeting.

 

Dog Control Bylaw

Mark Cerel is working with John Thompson on updating this bylaw.

 

Town Garage Solar Panels

Project is anticipated to coast in the $450,000 range, could be phased in, expected to be revenue generating for the Town.

 

Wellfield Easement

Michael Sullivan explained that a resident has requested moving a three foot water easement that connects the wellfield to the MSH water tower. The easement currently makes the lot unbuildable, would be willing to trade an easement along the property line not thru the center of the property.

 

Mr. Massaro was concerned that it is an easement related to the disposition of the water tower and wellfield and asked Mark Cerel to examine further.

 

Recycling Committee

We are waiting for more information from the Recycling Committee whether the Committee or the Eagle Scout who proposed the project will submit this. Do not know the cost, the number of receptacles or location yet.

 

Street Lights Pleasant Court

This is currently a placeholder for a resident who may provide a citizen petition for this article.

 

 

 

Mount Nebo Water Tower Repainting

Estimates are coming in at million dollars for repainting, initial reports indicate might just need painting on the outside so the price could be reduced. This will be out of the Water and Sewer Enterprise Fund.

 

Zoning Changes

Planning Board has hearing scheduled for these next Monday.

 

 

Mr. Sullivan and Selectmen Marcucci discussed free cash and how it is being spent and what limits should be put on free cash. Mr. Sullivan does not think we could stop relying on free cash without significant reduction in spending and this year. The Town is considering adding new positions, Dale Street School, budget increases are high, etc. Selectmen Marcucci stated that when school reimbursement money goes away we will be in trouble for having relied on free cash. No new positions added until the Department meets with the Board of Selectmen to discuss the budget. There needs to be some discipline in spending.

 

Mr. Cerel asked the Board if they would be interested in adding the CPA for the ATM in 2018 due to the election in the fall. Board discussed the CPA and whether it is a tax increase and if we can do it better by appropriating the money ourselves at Town Meeting without being tied to the three mandated categories. Medfield voters have been fair in for voting for legitimate projects there is a fear is that if there is a “pool” of money then the Town will look for projects just to spend.

 

 

Pending Items

Town Administrator Evaluation Process

Selectmen Murby has evaluated Mike’s goals that were sent out and had a few comments. Would like to see Mike hold more department head meetings for an inclusive process.

 

Town Wide Goals Distribution

Mr. Murby and Ms. Trierweiler continue to work on this.

 

Annual Appointments

Still awaiting an update from Board of Health

 

Veterans Service Officer

Mr. Sullivan should have a recommendation at the next meeting. Town Counsel is reviewing the contract between two towns.

 

Licenses and Permits (Consent Agenda)

Request from Katie Lioy for a one-day liquor license for a wedding (May 2018) to take place at Rocky Woods Reservation

 

Selectmen discussed the reason for the request. Rocky Woods is requesting that the Town issue the license. Mr. Cerel stated that there was no downside to issuing the license.

 

Vote: Selectmen Marcucci made a motion to issue a one day liquor license to Ms. Lioy for the wedding at Rocky Woods, seconded by Selectmen Murby and the vote was unanimous.

 

Selectmen are invited to attend the Eagle Court of Honor for Tadhg H. Matthews and Daniel P. Whelan on Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 1:00PM at the United Church of Christ

 

Town Wide Goals

No Update

 

Town Administrator Update

Mr. Sullivan reported a sprinkler head was damaged at the High School and the newly refinished floor at the MHS was ruined. Mr. McCarty informed him a strip of the floor could be repaired but the Superintendent requested the entire floor be replaced again using the town’s insurance. Mr. Sullivan was concerned about increasing insurance rates.  Games will be rescheduled for the foreseeable future.

 

On Sunday a pipe froze at the Middle School in the cafeteria but the floor drains saved the floor from damage and it appears there is only the loss of an oven and some ceiling tiles.

 

 

Selectmen Reports

 

Selectmen Marcucci stated next is the Tuesday at 6:30 PM the Affordable Housing Trust will meet to hear an update on Tilden village and then at 7PM the updated Dale Street proposal.

 

Selectmen Peterson has office hours on Friday from 9AM to 10AM. Selectmen Peterson attended a multi town Selectmen’s meeting and had some concerns that the affordable housing and ensuring that people in the homes are still eligible.

 

 

Meeting adjourned at 10:20 PM.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s